Last updated: October 5, 2022
The CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information andFrequently Asked Questions.
- Egypt maintains 14-day quarantine periods and other preventative measures in all cases for people who test positive for COVID-19 while in Egypt.
- Individuals who do not adhere to precautionary measures such as wearing a mask indoors may be subject to an immediate fine or prosecution.
- New measures could be introduced at short notice.
- For more information on COVID-19 in Egypt and Egypt Travel Restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit the Egyptian Tourism Authority website and https://www.egyptonlinevisa.com/travel-restrictions/.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are there COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens? No. All individuals traveling to and from Egypt, including U.S. citizens, are subject to the entry and exit requirements determined by the Egyptian Government. The U.S. Embassy is unable to intervene on behalf of U.S. citizens or influence the decision of Egyptian authorities to allow entry or exit from Egypt.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No.
- Passengers traveling to Egypt are not required to take a COVID-19 test to fly to Egypt. Egypt’s COVID-19 entry restrictions were liftedon June 17, 2022. Previously, travelers who did not have a valid vaccination certificate needed to take a COVID-19 PCR or antigen test before flying.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? No.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No. However, anyone that tests positive for COVID-19 while in Egypt is required to quarantine for 14 days.
- Covid-19 testing is available at numerous private testing centers, as well as the Central Public Health Lab. Most COVID-19 test providers offer 48-hour turnaround in Egypt, but faster service is possible at extra cost.Delivery method and cost of COVID-19 testing ranges by provider. Average costs of tests in the main tourism cities are $30 for a PCR, 225 EGP for an Antigen Rapid test, and 1000 EGP for an ID NOW COVID-19 Test. The U.S. Embassy does not endorse or recommend any provider. Payment for COVID-19 testing is the responsibility of the individual and is not covered by the Government of Egypt.
- Please visit this list (in Arabic) of public hospitals in Egypt which offer COVID-19 tests. The U.S. Embassy in Cairo maintains a list of medical providers that U.S. citizens in Egypt have used in the past. Individuals should contact the medical providers directly to determine if they offer COVID-19 testing. The U.S. Embassy is also aware of several private companies offer COVID-19 testing, including Prime Speed Medical; VFS Global Sites; Al Mokhtabar Labs; Ain-Shams University Labs.
- The Government of Egypt established the following COVID-19 dedicated hotlines:105–Ministry of Health Hotline (Press 1 for COVID-19 information; Arabic proficiency recommended);15335 - Press 1 for Arabic. Press 2 for English.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Are vaccines available in Egypt for U.S. citizens to receive?Yes, themedia has reported that anyone over age 18, including foreign residents, can now register for the vaccine. AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty), and Sinovac/VACSERA are available in Egypt. Supplies of Sinopharm and Sputnik-V may also exist.
- To receive a COVID-19 vaccine, patients can register online at https://egcovac.mohp.gov.eg/#/home.
- Visit the FDA’s website tolearn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to reference the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population Facebook page (Arabic only) or the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities Facebook page (Arabic only). The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105or15335 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended). You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Other links:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
Suggested for You